Immigration Services provides consultative advisory services to senior leaders, faculties/administrative units, staff, and non-Canadian residents on immigration matters with respect to the academic search process and recruitment strategies and practices.

Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCIC)

  • facilitate the entry of foreign nationals into Canada
  • resolve immigration-related issues for foreign academic staff, potential academic staff, and visitors to campus
  • consult with individual foreign nationals regarding immigration status and requirements


  • provide consultative advisory services around recruitment and hiring practices in relation to immigration legislation
  • assist departments with the development and completion of Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs), and Transition Plans

Developing and Implementing Procedures and Processes

  • enhance compliance and manage risk around immigration legislation and various programs, such as the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) and the International Mobility Program (IMP).
  • lead projects to improve efficiencies and immigration systems to facilitate practical, expeditious service.

Community Education and Training

  • provide individuals with education and training regarding immigration-related legislation
  • develop and deliver individual and group training for full-time, academic, high-skilled foreign nationals seeking Canadian permanent residence.

Applying for Permanent Residency (PR)
Immigration Services provides advice and guidance regarding permanent residence to academic full time, continuing University of Alberta staff members in high-skilled occupations. As these positions are permanent in nature, ESDC may require proof that the foreign national has made attempts to apply for PR prior to reviewing a 2nd or 3rd LMIA application. Currently, there are three full-time employees within Immigration Services that serve the University. Either in a group setting or individually, we advise interested foreign nationals on general timelines, qualifications, and how to prepare to apply for PR.

Although Immigration Services advise foreign nationals to apply for permanent residence, the process is driven by the individual to acquire Permanent Residency. Immigration Services is unable to prepare applications on behalf of foreign nationals and do not have the resources to do so. If a foreign national prefers a more hands-on approach to the PR process, they may hire a private RCIC or Immigration lawyer. They will still be required to relay all personal, educational, employment and residential information to the RCIC, as well as obtain the documents on their own. However, a private consultant will take care of all administrative duties and timelines on behalf of the client. The average fee for this service is ~$2000 for one person, plus all PR fees.