Lab account/General Research Project
- Create a new project through your Researcher Home Page, as you would do for a new proposal. For specific fields
• Source: Both
• Amount: $0
• Sponsor: MULTI
• Indirect costs: No (rationale: Indirect costs will be applied to external billings, as per attached terms)
• Check “no” for certification requirements (if the account will be used to support your overall research program).
- Attach a scope of work and budget for the account: fill in the highlighted areas in the Lab Account Template and adjust other language as necessary, to reflect your lab and activities;
- Submit the request into the workflow.
Research Services Office (RSO) authorization is required for all service agreements with external clients. All external billings will include a 30% charge for indirect costs, as per University of Alberta (UofA) policy.
Invoicing will be done at the Faculty (ALES) level. Internal billing of user fees, sample analysis and recovery of labour/material costs within the UofA do not require RSO authorization.
Funds remaining at the end of the fiscal year will be carried forward to future year(s). No over-expenditures are allowed.
All expenditures will comply with UofA financial policies and procedures. Funds in this account may be used for the following types of expenditures:
- Salary/stipend/benefit costs for technical staff, students, fellows and trainees; immigration and visa fees;
- Travel/hosting expenditures associated with the normal course of operations under the scope of the research program, including air travel, accommodation, ground transportation, vehicle rental, private auto, gasoline, meals, course/conference registration and hosting;
- Maintenance and/or replacement costs of equipment used in the lab in the normal course of operations under the scope of the research program, including all lab instruments, computer hardware/software and furniture;
- Costs of supplies, materials and consumables used in the normal course of operations under the scope of the research program, including chemicals, reagents, standards, kits, glassware, bench supplies, cleaning supplies, personal protective equipment and office/computing/printing supplies;
- Costs for services required in the normal course of operations under the scope of the research program, including consultant fees, UofA work requisitions, shared facilities user fees (e.g., AGPU, AFDP, ), hazardous waste disposal, shipping charges (e.g., courier, postage, customs/duty charges) and communications charges (e.g., telephone line and equipment rental, cell phone charges, publication fees, printing charges, technology transfer fees);
- Other research expenses necessary to maintain, manage and service the lab facilities.
No financial reporting is required. All activities and transactions will comply with UofA policies and procedures.